11.13.2012

Pulled Pork




One thing I have learned to love a lot more since I gave up red meat is the other white meat - whether it be pork, sausage or ham (and I used to loathe pork chops and ham steaks). After I started making pork chops and actually enjoying them, I knew the next step for me would be to make my very own pulled pork. Over the summer, I attended lots of get-togethers and, at almost every one, they served hamburgers and hot dogs - nothing I’m really that keen on. So, when I was at a friend’s party and someone brought pulled pork, I was elated … and inspired. Though making pulled pork in the oven can be a day-long chore, it’s totally worth it, and, personally, I think it tastes way better than if you make it in the Crock Pot. Plus, you’re guaranteed at least a few days’ worth of leftovers.

5 lb. pork shoulder or butt roast
3 Tbsp. Montreal Steak seasoning
2 Tbsp. olive oil
5-6 strips of bacon
2 cups apple cider vinegar
12 oz. dark beer
1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce

Preheat oven to 300°. Season all sides of the pork roast with Montreal Steak seasoning. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sear top and bottom of roast until browned. Place roast in a roasting pan and pour apple cider vinegar over the top. Layer bacon strips on top of roast and place in oven. Bake for 5 hours, but be sure to check on it periodically and baste if desired. When bacon is crisp and browned, remove it (and eat if you so choose). Pour beer over roast and bake an additional hour and a half. At this point, you should be able to pull the pork. Tear it apart in the pan and let it soak in remaining pan juices. Stir in your favorite barbecue sauce, mix well and return to the oven for an additional couple hours. You can eat it as is, but I recommend allowing it to absorb more of the sauce, as it will give it better flavor. Serve on rolls or buns with your favorite side dish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment