11.13.2012

Chicken, Bacon & Pepper Stew



Before I quit eating red meat, I would wait all year for my mom to make stew. Finding myself craving some, I was perplexed at how I could satisfy that craving. I mean, even though I no longer eat dead cow, I find my mouth watering when I see someone eating a nice, juicy bacon cheeseburger - mostly because it has bacon and cheese on it - because it looks so delicious. Lo and behold, stew tastes just as good when it’s made with chicken. This recipe, in particular, turned out fabulous … very hearty and extremely flavorful.

1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, cooked and cut into chunks
8-10 strips bacon
1 large onion, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 - 14.5-oz. cans stewed tomatoes (plain or flavored)
1 cup white cooking wine
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. parsley flakes
4 potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the red and yellow peppers in half, removing the stems and seeds. Roast in a toaster oven (or regular oven) until skins start to blacken. Remove from oven and let cool. Slice the peppers into strips and set aside. Cut bacon into small strips. Cook in a skillet until crispy; Remove the bacon from the pan, reserving the liquid gold (bacon grease). Sauté the onion in the reserved bacon grease until translucent. Place chicken and bacon in a Dutch oven. Add the sliced peppers, onions and chicken broth. Add the tomatoes, white wine, thyme, parsley and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 to 3 hours until potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment