11.13.2012

Biscuits & Gravy



When I worked at the Stacker Cafe damn near a decade ago (yikes!), one of my favorite items on the menu was biscuits and gravy. Though it was amazingly tasty, the gravy came from a bag, which I’m not particularly fond of. However, I was never able to recreate the recipe using regular ingredients … until I stumbled upon a southern style recipe, which, of course, I modified a bit. And it was absolutely fantastic. For this particular recipe, I made the biscuits using Bisquick since I had some left over from making dumplings. However, I’m sure homemade biscuits would be even better.

8 biscuits
1 lb. ground sausage
3 Tbsp. bacon grease
1/4 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups milk

In a large skillet (cast iron works best), brown the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula, over medium heat. Do not drain the grease. Add the bacon grease, flour and salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the flour begins to brown. Slowly add the milk while continuing to stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally. As the gravy cools, it will thicken. If you prefer thinner gravy, just add more milk. Cut the biscuits in half and pour the gravy over top. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment