12.21.2011

White Chili


I’ve been a fan of chili all of my life. My mom made excellent chili while I was growing up and out in Pinedale, Honis made spectacular green and red chili. But, now that I have cut red meat out of my diet, I’ve had to come up with different options, such as turkey chili – the recipe for which can also be found on this blog. So when I came across a recipe for white chili, which is made with chicken, I had to give it a try. Since I love chicken and spicy foods, I absolutely had to give it a try. After tweaking it to my tastes, it’s become a favorite of mine. My brother even told me he was bragging to people about how good it was and that I should enter it in a chili cook-off. While I haven’t done that yet, I have a feeling it’d be a winner.

1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. oil
3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 - 15.5-oz. cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 15.5-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 small orange or yellow pepper, diced
1 - 11-oz. can corn, drained
1 - 15-oz. jar alfredo sauce
1 - 7-oz. can green chiles
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the chicken, broth and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Add the beans and return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add the pepper, corn, alfredo sauce, chiles, sour cream and spices. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add the cheeses, stirring until melted. Serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment