12.21.2011

Chicken Cheddar Pot Pie


Growing up, my brother and I ate our fair share of Banquet pot pies; if I recall, I was a big fan of the crust. But, as I’ve gotten older, my tastes have matured … as have my concerns over the kind of food I put in my body. Thus, I have graduated to making more home-cooked meals, which are generally better for you. And, not to toot my own horn, but I make some delicious meals. Anyway, I found a recipe for chicken pot pie in a Taste of Home magazine, changed a few ingredients and it turned out to be one of the best chicken pot pies I’ve ever eaten.

Filling:
4 cups chicken, cubed and cooked
1 - 12-oz. bag frozen broccoli
1 - 12-oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 - 10-3/4-oz. can cheddar cheese soup
1 - 10-3/4-oz. can cream of chicken soup
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1-1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Topping:
1-1/2 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp. melted butter

Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, combine all of the filling ingredients and bring to a boil. Transfer to a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients. Spoon over the top of the filling. Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment