11.11.2011

Spicy Deviled Eggs


I've always loved deviled eggs. The first time I tried them was at a holiday party at my great aunt Grace's ... I was probably 6 or 7 at the time. Ever since then, as my tastes have obviously changed, I've been trying to perfect a more bold and spicy version of the appetizer. While I prefer a lot of spiciness, others do not, so this is more of a "find the right amount of spice to fit your tastes" kind of recipe. Either way, it's a great way to give traditional deviled eggs a little more pizzazz.

12 hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
2 Tbsp. horseradish sauce
3 tsp tabasco sauce
3 tsp. spicy brown mustard
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
garnish with paprika

Half the eggs and put yolks into a small mixing bowl. In the bowl with the yolks, add the remaining ingredients and beat with a whisk. Spoon the yolk mixture into the egg halves and sprinkle with paprika. Feel free to adjust the spiciness to meet your tastes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment