11.11.2011

Jennie’s Turkey Chili


New Year’s Day 2011, I did something I never would have ever fathomed I would do … I gave up red meat. Believe it or not, it's November and I have stayed true to that resolution. However, since I began this conquest, it’s been a struggle to find replacements for such things as hamburgers, meatballs and, my personal favorite, red chili. But, alas, all was not lost. One day while searching the Internet for recipes for turkey chili, I came across one that actually tasted semi-decent. Adding my own touches, it has become a personal favorite. Even my dad, who’s a die-hard fan of traditional chili with hamburger, can’t resist having a bowl or three whenever I make it. Also, I have recently discovered that Four Cheese Cheez-its taste absolutely delectable in this particular dish!

2 lbs. ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
4 cups chicken broth
3 medium tomatoes, crushed
1 - 15.25-oz. can kidney beans
2 - 15.25-oz cans refried beans
1 - 15.25-oz. can pinto beans
1 - 15.25-oz. can black beans
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
5 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

In a Dutch oven, cook the onion and turkey until the turkey is crumbly, evenly browned and no longer pink. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes, beans, garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment