11.11.2011

Egg Nog


It’s no secret that I love the occasional alcoholic beverage. But, all my life, I’ve absolutely hated that store-bought egg nog that both my dad and brother enjoyed throughout the holiday season. However, I was determined not to write the beverage off entirely … at least not until I tried the rum-infused version. After searching relentlessly online for a recipe that sounded semi-delicious, I gave it a whirl. Now, I make at least four batches around the holidays. And I now consider myself a fan of egg nog!

1 Tbsp cloves
2-1/2 tsp. vanilla, divided
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups milk
12 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups rum
1 pint half-and-half
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

In a saucepan, combine cloves, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, cinnamon and milk. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, then bring mixture to a boil. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Return to saucepan and cook 3 minutes until thickened. DO NOT BOIL! Let mixture cool for 1 hour. Stir in the rum, 2 tsp. vanilla, half-and-half and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment