5.29.2013

Brocc-iflower Salad




When I was younger, I loathed broccoli, but in the past five years or so, it has become one of my favorite veggies. Whether it’s smothered in cheese, mixed in with pasta or just raw with some ranch dressing, I’m developing quite the love affair with broccoli. My boyfriend’s step-mom made a broccoli salad for Easter dinner earlier this year and it was one of the most delicious side dishes I had ever had. Thus, I felt obligated to find and/or create a similar recipe so I could make it at home. While I could have simply just used broccoli for this, I thought I’d throw in some cauliflower, which turned out to be a good idea. And, of course, I added my favorite condiment (bacon) for flavor. It adds just the right amount of saltiness to the sweetness of the dressing. This will definitely become a staple in my potluck repertoire.

2 broccoli crowns, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound bacon (8-10 strips), fried and crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 

Combine the chopped broccoli and cauliflower in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, and salt to make a creamy dressing. Add the dressing to the broccoli–cauliflower mix, stirring to evenly coat the vegetables. Stir in the bacon and the cheese, reserving a small amount to sprinkle on top of the salad just before serving.


0 comments:

Post a Comment