11.18.2011

Chow Mein Hot Dish

When I was in elementary school, I always looked forward to the day Chow Mein hot dish was served … though it usually only happened once a month. Regardless, I absolutely loved it and this is the closest I have come to recreating that recipe. Granted, I no longer eat red meat, this used to be one of my all-time favorite meals. While I have yet to attempt this one with ground turkey, I still believe it is one of the best hot dishes I have ever made.

1 lb. hamburger
1 small onion, diced
1-1/2 cups celery, diced
1-1/4 cups uncooked rice
2-1/2 cups water
1 - 10-3/4-oz can golden mushroom soup
1/3 cup soy sauce
Chow Mein noodles

Preheat oven to 350°. Over medium heat, sauté hamburger with onion until no longer pink. Add celery and sauté an additional 5 minutes. Drain grease. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, combine the hamburger mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir until well-blended. Bake for 30 minutes. Stir and then continue baking for 30 more minutes. Top with Chow Mein noodles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment