3.08.2014

Maple Bacon Mashed Sweet Potatoes




It was just a few years ago that I discovered sweet potatoes. I believe the very first thing I made with them was a sweet potato pie for Christmas (which I ended up missing out on because I had tickets to a Packers-Bears game at Lambeau Field - not a single piece was left, so it must have been good). Anyway, when I moved to Massachusetts and met my boyfriend, I started eating baked sweet potatoes with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar, which is so good. I've also grown fond of ordering sweet potato fries (also delicious) whenever they're offered as a substitute side. As you can tell, these yummy root vegetables have become a staple in my diet. Wanting to do something a little different with them, I decided to try out a mashed sweet potatoes recipe. While I could have simply done a mashed version with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar, I opted to add something a little different - maple syrup. And, of course, whenever you add bacon to something, it’s extra delicious, so that was a given!

5 or 6 medium sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces and cooked

Preheat oven to 350°. Pierce each potato about six or seven times with a knife. Bake the potatoes for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until soft. Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool a few minutes. Cut the potatoes in half; scoop out the pulp and place in a medium-sized pot. Mash the pulp with a potato masher. Stir in the butter milk and syrup until well blended. Fold in the bacon pieces, Serve along side your favorite entree.

0 comments:

Post a Comment