11.03.2013

Apple Crisp



There’s no question that on a fall day, warm, fresh out of the oven apple crisp, topped with vanilla or caramel flavored ice cream is the absolute best dessert. Since I love apples but I’m not a huge apple pie fan, it’s also the perfect dessert for me. Normally, I don’t even like ice cream, but put a scoop on apple crisp and I’m a huge fan. What I like about making apple crisp is how easy it is compared to making a two-crust pie. Living in New England, I’ve also grown accustomed to driving to the orchard and getting fresh apples instead of buying the pre-bagged ones from the grocery store.

8 Red Delicious apples, peeled and cored
4 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup cold butter

Preheat oven to 375°. Chop up the apples and place in a large mixing bowl, squirting with lemon juice as you go so they don’t brown too much. Add the vanilla and toss to coat. Layer the apples in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and oats. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Evenly sprinkle the oat mixture over the apples. Bake 45-50 minutes or until top looks crispy and apples are tender. Serve warm with whipped topping or vanilla or caramel flavored ice cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment