5.12.2012

Swedish Turkey Meatballs




When I still ate red meat, I loved Swedish meatballs. I don’t usually have cravings for beef anymore since, more than anything, the taste and smell of it makes me queasy, but I was determined to find an alternative. Seeing as how my turkey chili is utterly amazing, I got to thinking that I could easily substitute turkey for beef in the meatballs and it would be just as adequate. I was wrong - the turkey meatballs turned out way better, a lot less greasy and extremely flavorful. I even tried to convince my dad he wouldn’t like them because they weren’t beef … then he proceeded to have a bowlful.

1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 garlic clove, minced
1 lb. ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, divided
1 Tbsp. parsley, divided
1 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 - 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
salt to taste
3-1/2 Tbsp. sour cream
cooked egg noodles

Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl, combine garlic and onions, turkey, egg, bread crumbs, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 Tbsp. parsley, allspice and nutmeg. Shape meat into 1-1/2-inch balls and place in a baking dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until cooked through. Pour broth and flour in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until flour is dissolved. Pour the broth mixture into a large skillet with a lid. Add remaining Worcestershire sauce and parsley, pepper and salt. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in sour cream. Add the meatballs, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over noodles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment