1.04.2012

Zucchini Bread


When my mom decided to plant zucchini in the garden one year, we had to come up with some creative ways to use it all up. But, because they grow so damn fast, it just was not feasible. An ample amount ended up in a compost heap down at the city shops. Regardless of the number of different ways we tried to prepare the zucchini, I was not a fan … until I made this bread. When I was growing up and my mom made this, I simply turned up my nose because it had vegetables in it. If I only knew then what I know now …

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup oil
1 - 4-oz. container applesauce
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, cream eggs and sugar. Add zucchini, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well-blended. Pour into two greased large loaf pans. Bake for 55 minutes or until the loaves pass the toothpick test. Let cool slightly, then remove loaves from pans and transfer to wire racks. Cool completely before slicing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment