12.23.2011

Holiday Fudge


I don’t typically make fudge for the holidays since the majority of my family members think it’s too sweet, but, as a gift for someone special, I decided I would make a batch. The last time I made fudge, it didn’t turn out the way I had anticipated using plain old semi-sweet chocolate as a starting point. So, this time around, I decided to go a different route and use more of a candy base, which turned out phenomenally. I had back-up ingredients just in case it didn’t turn out, but seeing as how I’m not a huge fan of chocolate and I ate three squares, I’d say using this recipe was a success. I just hope the recipient thinks so too!

1 - 12-oz. can evaporated milk
3-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 - 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 - 12-oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a 4-quart saucepan, stir milk and sugars together. Over medium heat, add butter. Cook and stir constantly until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (a small amount dropped into cold water forms a soft ball). Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Quickly add the remaining ingredients one at a time. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch pan lined with wax paper and greased. Cool. Cut into squares.

0 comments:

Post a Comment