12.05.2011

Coleslaw


Before my grandmother passed away, we would always have Thanksgiving dinner at her house. Years of being a housewife allowed her to hone her skills in the kitchen – which is likely where I get some of my talent. She would always prepare everything (almost entirely on her own) and it would be utterly delicious. One staple that I truly enjoyed was her coleslaw. While she was one of those types who memorized the recipe over the years, she eventually wrote it down for my mom. Of course, we can no longer find said recipe, so, needless to say, it has been a chore to get it exactly right every Thanksgiving. However, in my many attempts to emulate the taste I remember from my childhood, this one came the closest.

1/4 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1/8 cup zesty Italian dressing
1 - 16-oz. bag coleslaw mix
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl, combine onion, mayo, salad dressing, sugar, dry mustard, celery salt and Italian dressing. Stir in the coleslaw mix. Add salt and pepper and stir. Refrigerate before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment