11.18.2011

Tomato Basil Garlic Pasta Sauce

Ever since I can remember, my mom has maintained a vegetable garden in our backyard. She typically plants at least four tomato plants and every year, the tomatoes grow so much faster than my parents can use them around the house. So, this past fall after I was laid off and had to move back in with the folks, I decided to try something completely different … make tomato sauce. After looking at several recipes online, I took some of the basic elements and created my very own sauce. And seeing as how I have become a semi-vegetarian and often find myself eating lots of frozen cheese ravioli and cheese tortellini, it actually made a lot of sense. Though I have not taken to canning any just yet, I’ve already had people ask me for this particular recipe. As an added bonus, it can easily be doubled depending on your needs.

6 medium tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp. oil
1-1/2 cups water
1 - 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. basil leaves
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh sliced mushrooms, if desired

Before you begin, you will need to peel the tomatoes. The best way to do this is to boil 6 cups of water in a large pot. Once boiling, add the tomatoes and boil them for 30-45 seconds; immediately dip them into a bowl of cold water. After a minute or so, you should be able to pull the skin off. Core and quarter the tomatoes, removing the seeds, if desired, and set aside. In a 3-quart saucepan, cook garlic and onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, water, paste, sugar, bouillon, oregano, salt, pepper, basil, bay leaf and mushrooms (if you so choose). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving with your favorite pasta.

0 comments:

Post a Comment