11.29.2009

Potato Salad


Over the summer, my mom would bring home little tubs of store-bought potato salad when my dad would grill out. There's nothing better than some potato salad to go with burgers and brats. However, there was one particular kind that she purchased that everyone loved. After that, she was never able to find that particular potato salad again. The boys simply could not be pleased. The potatoes were never done enough and the dressing never had the right taste. To put an end to the search for the perfect potato salad, I went back to my book of recipes and dug out the one I had written down while working at Stacker Cafe. While I altered it slightly to make sure the rest of the family liked it, I was quite pleased with the result. Now, I make at least 2 quarts of it every time I whip a batch together. But it seems that no matter how much I make, it's gone within two days. Finally there was no more whining about potato salad from the boys ... except that I don't make it often enough.

6-8 potatoes, unpeeled
4-6 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup salad dressing
2/3 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. mustard
1 small onion, diced (add more if you like onion)
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
3 strips cooked bacon, chopped, optional.

Boil the potatoes and eggs in a Dutch oven for 10-12 minutes; drain and let cool. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo and salad dressing. Add the sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion - and bacon, if you desire. Peel and chop the potatoes and eggs and add to the cream mixture. Toss together until well blended. Refrigerate before enjoying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment