9.16.2009

Favorite Skillet Hotdish


One day, while at the dinner table, my dad mentioned something about making a hotdish that he remembered from his days in high school. Recalling that it consisted of elbow macaroni, tomatoes and hamburger, I had an inkling that I knew exactly what he was talking about. Having attended the same school system as my dad, my brother and I had been served something extremely similar on our way to our diplomas. With the vague memory of what it looked and tasted like, I gave it a shot and came up with this recipe. While it may not be exactly the same as what we had been served in that particular institution, it turned out to be surprisingly similar in taste. So much so that my old man eats two to three helpings every time I make it.

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 - 28-ounce can (or 2 - 14.5 ounce cans) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste

Brown the beef with onion; drain grease. Add the tomatoes, macaroni and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment