9.08.2009

Easy Mashed Potatoes

During holiday get-togethers, my grandmother would always make her boiled potatoes. Everyone would grab a few portions, do their own mashing and cover them with gravy. I was the outcast of the family when it came to this ritual. Being that I never really liked gravy, I would often just grab the butter and slather my potatoes in order to make them edible. Totally unhealthy, I decided to try out my own recipe for mashed potatoes on the folks ... and my dad ate about three helpings. In this household, that means they are good. And being that he always uses the phrase "not like mom used to make," I took it as a compliment that I never heard a peep out of him while he was eating.

10 potatoes, peeled and quartered
1-1/2 cups milk
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp chives
1-1/2 Tbsp garlic powder, optional

Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until they begin to fall apart. Drain and mash. Add the milk and butter and continue mashing until it reaches the desired consistency - you may need more butter or milk if you desire creamy or whipped potatoes. Add the chives and garlic powder and mix until evenly belended. Serve with your favorite gravy ... or extra butter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment